The NASBP Summer Session of the School had 23 surety professsionals teach and address nearly 100 students from 30 states, Guam, Canada, and Germany. The School, held in August in Kansas City, MO, had 35 students in Level I, 35 students in Level II, and 27 students in the Angell-Curtin Advanced Surety School, Level III.
At every NASBP School, the students in each class identify the student whom they consider to be the most outstanding pupil (MOP) to receive a memento signed by all the students of the class and faculty. Receiving the coveted football in Level I was Jeffrey D. James of AmTrust Surety. Level II students selected Katie Allen of CapSpecialty to receive the football. Level III selected Christopher O’Hagan of J.D. Kutter Insurance Associates, Inc. to receive the signed hard hat.
NASBP would like to thank Phil Thomas (pictured here at podium), President of the general contracting firm of A.L. Huber General Contractor, who spoke to the Level III students during lunch on Thursday. Thomas shared many insights garnered from more than 30 years in the construction industry, including how the family-owned business transitioned from one generation to the next, keeps up with changing construction standards and practices, and continually looks forward while always focusing on the company’s core values.
A highlight of the week for Level II students was a luncheon on Wednesday, during which they asked questions of a panel consisting of NASBP Past Presidents Susan Hecker, Matt Cashion and Spence Miller about roles, career growth, job changes, and many other topics. For more information about NASBP Surety School sessions, click here and see the article in this issue about registering for the 2017 Winter School.
Level I Most Outstanding Pupil Jeffrey D. James of AmTrust Surety with (from left) Level I faculty Nick Newton, Chris Downey, Dawn Nevill, faculty member and Professional Development Committee Chair Dedi Belis, NASBP President Lynne Cook, and Level I faculty Erle Benton.
Level II Most Outstanding Pupil Katie Allen of CapSpecialty with (from left) Level II faculty Larry McMahon, Ralph Pulver, Bud Herndon, Susan Hecker, NASBP President Lynne Cook, and faculty member and Professional Development Committee Chair Dedi Belis.
Level III Most Outstanding Pupil Christopher O’Hagan of J.D. Kutter Insurance Associates, Inc. with (from left) Level III faculty Ralph Pulver, Steve Cory, Bud Herndon, Larry McMahon, Spence Miller, Susan Hecker, NASBP President Lynne Cook, faculty Matt Cashion, and NASBP Professional Development Committee Chair Dedi Belis.
NASBP also would like to thank the following 23 NASBP Members and Affiliates who helped teach the School, dedicating their time and expertise once again for the benefit of NASBP, the next generation of bond producers and underwriters, and the surety industry as a whole.
- Dedi Belis of Marsh & McLennan Agency, Levels I and II
- Erle Benton of Truss, LLC, Levels I and III
- Liz Bottemiller of The Hartford Fidelity & Surety, Level III
- Jeff Broyles of Willis of Seattle, Inc., Level III
- Matt Cashion of The Cashion Company, Inc., Level III
- NASBP President Lynne W. Cook of Early, Cassidy and Schilling, Inc., Level II
- Steve Cory of Cory, Tucker & Larrowe, Inc., Level III
- Jerry Goucher of Liberty Mutual Surety, Level III
- Susan Hecker of Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., Level III
- Bud Herndon of CNA Surety Corporation, Levels II and III
- Jim Lareau of Travelers Bond, Level II
- Chad Martin of TIS Insurance Services, Inc., Level II
- Fran McGrath of Liberty Mutual Surety, Level III
- Larry McMahon of Alliant Insurance Services, Inc., Levels II and III
- J. Spencer Miller of NFP Property & Casualty Services, Inc., Level III
- Greg Morin of The Lockton Companies, Level III
- Steve Nelson of SureTec Insurance Company, Level II
- Dawn Nevill of The Guarantee Company of North America USA, Level I
- Nick Newton of Newton Bonding, Level I
- Ralph Pulver of Travelers Bond, Levels II and III
- Shaun Ross of Liberty Mutual Surety, Level III
- Joe Ruch of Liberty Mutual Group, Level III
- Bob Shaw of Skillings, Shaw & Associates, Inc., Level II