Topics addressed in articles published in industry publications
Builders Risk Guide
- IRMI Commercial Property Insurance Manual - The section of the IRMI Commercial Property Insurance Manual titled “Builders Risk and Installation Floater Coverage” (IX.J.1 through IX.J.19) is an excellent resource. IRMI publishes, regularly updates, and sells the Manual in various formats at costs ranging from $253 to $389.
Federal Contracting Information and Guides
- Brief summary of federal contracting opportunities - written by Steven L. Reed, Esq. of Smith, Currie and Hancock and presented at NASBP Regional Meeting 8,9,10 & 11. (Sept 2009)
- Commonly used federal acronyms (not an exclusive list)
- Web sites of government agencies, government-affiliated organizations, and others involved with federal contracting
- Hot Topics in Federal Government Contract Compliance - Surety Bond Quarterly article by Barron A. Avery of Baker Hostetler (Winter 2015)
- Alternative Delay-Based Entitlement Theories to the Government Delay of Work Clause - The Procurement Lawyer article by Barron A. Avery of Baker Hostetler (Winter 2012)
- Cost Charging in Government Contracts Can Result in Common, but Avoidable, Pitfalls - Surety Bond Quarterly article by Barron A. Avery of Baker Hostetler (Summer 2014)
- Inspection, Acceptance and Warranty: Fundamental Government contracting Principles Take on Heightened Importance in the Wake of Federal Cuts - The Procurement Lawyer article by Barron A. Avery, Esq, of Baker Hostetler (Winter 2014)
- A.M. Best Company is a credit rating organization serving the financial services industries, including the banking and insurance sectors. Best's ratings and analysis are often used as a means of assessing the financial strength and creditworthiness of risk-bearing entities and investment vehicles.
- Association for Cooperative Operations Research and Development (ACORD) is a global, nonprofit standards development organization serving the insurance industry and related financial services industries.
- Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA) is a nonprofit organization serving construction financial professionals who represent all types of contractors - including generals and subs - as well as developers, construction managers, architects, engineers, principals, and material and equipment suppliers. Accounting, insurance, surety, software, legal, and banking specialists who serve the construction industry are also represented.
- Insurance Services Office (ISO) ISO supplies data, analytics, and decision-support services for risk managers in all industries in fields, including property/casualty insurance, mortgage lending, healthcare, government, human resources.
- International Risk Management Institute Inc. (IRMI) provides risk and insurance information to business, legal, risk management, and insurance professionals. IRMI publishes a library of practical manuals, books, and newsletters and sponsors seminars and conferences including the annual IRMI Construction Risk Conference
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners Verify that the surety company issuing a bond is validly licensed in the state of the project by consulting that state’s insurance department via phone call or website. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners maintains a map of States and Jurisdictions (https://content.naic.org/state_web_map.htm) that provides contact information for each jurisdiction’s insurance department. Such insurance departments can verify if a particular surety is currently licensed in its jurisdiction and is in compliance with applicable laws.
- National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI) manages a database of workers compensation insurance information. NCCI analyzes industry trends, prepares workers compensation insurance rate recommendations, determines the cost of proposed legislation, and provides services and tools to maintain a healthy workers compensation system.
- National Underwriter Company (NUCO) publishes print, e-media and software products for the insurance and financial services industries.
- The Surety & Fidelity Association of America (SFAA) is a trade association consisting of companies that collectively write surety and fidelity bonds in the United States.