Below are various resources on the topic of subcontractor default insurance (SDI).
- “Managing Subcontractor Risks of Non-Performance and Financial Failure: A Flash Guide to Subcontract Bonds and Subcontractor Default Insurance” -- This two-page white paper compares subcontractor bonds with SDI and is a particularly useful and convenient educational tool to provide to owners (and others). In fact, NASBP created this document for just that purpose, and we hope that our Members, Affiliates, Associates, and the general public will use it as an educational tool about the value of surety bonds.
- "Subcontractor Surety Bonding and Default Insurance--The Value (and Risk) of Using Both Resources" -- This is a candid perspective from an officer of a large construction firm on his firm’s use of subcontractor default insurance and subcontract bonds.
- "One Contractor's Transfer Preference: Subcontractor Bonds" -- This is an article by an officer of a large construction company on why his company prefers to use subcontract bonds over SDI to address the risk of subcontractor default.
- "SDI Insured Must Shoulder Burden to Pursue Claims Against CGL Policy" -- This is an article is by a construction attorney on a recent case that addresses an insured’s obligatory burdens to recover money under a CGL policy for the benefit of the insured’s SDI carrier. The article provides a reminder that with SDI the contractor-insured may have an affirmative responsibility to shoulder the burden and expense in a legal contest between the SDI insurer and the CGL insurer.
- "Managing Subcontractor Risks of Non‐Performance and Financial Failure: A Flash Guide to Subcontract Bonds and Subcontractor Default Insurance"
- "Managing the Risk of Subcontractor Defaults" – This is an article on subcontract bonds and other alternatives by Steve Nelson of SureTec Insurance Co. of Austin, TX.
- "Working on a Subguard Project: Loss of Protection for Subcontractors" -- This is an article by Susan McGreevy for NASBP.
- Results of a study conducted by Professor Dennis C. Bausman, Ph. D. of Clemson University on the use, costs, advantages, disadvantages, and impact of SDI on project participants.